Kendall Moses

photo: Detroit Police

5-Year-Old Detroit Boy Found Safe After Morning-Long Search

May 16, 2018 - 8:28 am
Categories: 

DETROIT (WWJ) - A 5-year-old boy who disappeared overnight on Detroit's lower east side has been found safe. 

Authorities say Kendall Moses was located safe just before 8:30 a.m. Wednesday. He was previously reported missing around 12:30 a.m. from a home on Greensboro Street near Whittier Avenue, not far from I-94. 

The boy's mother told police she was sitting on the front porch with some friends and when she went back into the home, Moses was nowhere to be found. Police fanned out in the neighborhood, searching through vacant houses, alleyways, garbage cans and vehicles -- but still couldn't find the boy.

As it turns out, he was apparently a stowaway in a family member's vehicle.

"At some time during that evening and gathering, the 5-year-old entered into the vehicle of one of his relatives -- we've identified that person as a blood cousin to the 5-year-old -- and at that point, the cousin left the gathering and went home," Captain Mark Thorton told WWJ's Mike Campbell.

Hours later, when the cousin was contacted to come back to the house and help search for Moses, she got into her car -- and he popped up in the back seat. 

"The 5-year-old is perfectly fine," said Thorton. "We just left the Fifth Precinct, they had a little bike that he was riding up and down the hallway. So, he's happy and he's OK."

Police say several guns were located in the house where the gathering was held, and the occupants and activities are now being investigated.