Family photo, via GoFundMe

9-Year-Old Boy Dies Of Injuries From Fire In Detroit

The boy's organs will be donated to help save children's lives.

February 17, 2019 - 5:31 pm
Categories: 

DETROIT (WWJ) -- A boy who was injured in a house fire on Detroit's west side earlier this week has died.

Orlando Brown, 9, was taken off life support over the weekend after suffering severe burns, smoke inhilation and carbon monoxide poisoning when a fire destroyed his family's home early Wednesday morning. 

The blaze broke outaround 2:30 a.m. Wednesday at the home on Hubbell Street on the city's west side, leaving the nine-year-old critically injured, along with his mother and younger brother.

Jasmine Cosby, 28, and Jayden Pettway, 6, are both still recovering from their injuries.

Other family members started a GoFundMe page to help the family with the recovery process.

Brown's organs will be donated to save the lives of other children, according to the GoFundMe page.

"This is just an example of how generous Jasmine is, during her most difficult time finding in her heart to save the lives of others," a family said on the fundraiser page.

Authorities say the fire was caused by an electrical problem in the basement and smoke detectors were not working, according to a story from WDIV in Detroit.