power lines

(Dreamstime)

Consumers Energy Worker Dies, Shocked By Electrical Line

October 08, 2018 - 11:43 am
Categories: 

PENINSULA TWP. (WWJ) - A 51-year-old Consumers Energy worker has died, according to authorities, after being shocked by an electrical line in Northern Michigan. 

The Grand Traverse Sheriff's Office said deputies, along with Peninsula Township Fire and EMS, responded to a 911 call involving electric shock at around 11:30 a.m. Friday, in the 20000 block of Center Rd. on the Old Mission Peninsula near Traverse City. 

There they found Consumers Energy employee James Farrington, of Alden, Michigan, had been injured while performing electric utility work.

Farrington was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead.

Jackson-based Consumers Energy said in a release that Farrington had been a journeyman lineworker since 2000, working for Traverse City Light & Power and the Lansing Board of Water and Light  and before joining Consumers at the company's Cadillac Service Center in January 2018. He had recently transferred to the Traverse City Service Center, Consumer's said, adding in a statement, "We appreciate the media’s understanding in giving Mr. Farrington’s family, co-workers and friends the privacy to grieve his loss.”

Circumstances regarding what led to the incident are unclear at this time. 

An investigation involving local authorities and the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) is ongoing.