Dramatic 911 Call In St. Clair Shores Murder-Suicide Triggered By Fireworks Dispute [AUDIO]

"He's shooting my f'ing house!"

July 10, 2019 - 10:35 am

(WWJ) "He's shooting at my f'ing house! He shot my window out!"

A neighbor's screams are chilling in this 911 call that ended after a 28-hour standoff between St. Clair Shores police and Tom Ihlendfeldt, 58. Upset over neighborhood fireworks, Ihlendfeldt skirmished with neighbors, eventually went back inside and shot and killed 60-year-old Carol Baur, and then killed himself.


In the first 911 call, a dispatcher calmly asks for the address, the neighbor's name, and more, as the scene gets increasingly frantic.

At one point, the shocked and enraged neighbor says Ihlendfeldt has pointed the gun at her brother outside. "He's a dead f'ing man. He's dead ... You better get here now. I'm not playing."

The incident began around 10 p.m. on July 4 when Ihlendfeldt was reportedly upset about people shooting off fireworks in the neighborhood, near St. Margaret Street between 13 Mile and Masonic. He started threatening neighbors with a gun.

"He said 'I've got a .44 and you're going to feel it,'" the neighbor says on the call. "He has a gun in his hand right now ... He's shooting! You need to get here now! Get here now! Move! This man is shooting at my f'ing house."

Ihlendfeldt began shooting a gun into a crowd, striking a 62-year-old St. Clair Shores woman in the leg -- the neighbor's mother -- and a 10-year-old girl from Detroit, who was hit in the arm. When officers arrived to the scene, Ihlendfeldt fled into a nearby home and continued firing shots at officers and civilians. The woman and the girl were both taken to a local hospital and treated for non-life-threatening injuries.

"There's about to be a dead mother f'er on this block," the woman says, urging police to get there faster.

Authorities say officers quickly surrounded the home where the suspect was hiding and began trying to negotiate his surrender. Though police made brief contact with Ihlendfeldt, he refused to exit the house. Police sent a robot into the home, but they were unable to get the suspect to come out.

The standoff lasted around 28 hours, spanning three days. Ihlendfeldt and Baur's bodies were found inside the home around 2:30 a.m. Saturday.

Authorities from the Michigan State Police, the Macomb County Sheriff’s Department, Eastpointe, Roseville and the Sterling Heights police departments all assisted St. Clair Shores during the standoff.