Michigan Man Dies After Falling Into Tank Of Sulfuric Acid In South Lyon

He Was Rushed To The Hospital.

February 11, 2019 - 3:12 pm
Categories: 

(WWJ) A 54-year-old man has died after falling into a tank of sulfuric acid in South Lyon. 

According to police, the incident happened Saturday at Michigan Seamless Tube on McMann Street, south of 10 Mile Road, where the sulfuric acid used in a manufacturing process has a temperature of at least 160 degrees.

The company has a sign out front that reads, "Fooling around on the job is a job for fools."

It is unknown how he fell in or how long the man was in the tank before he was pulled out by co-workers and quickly washed off.

The victim was rushed by EMS to University of Michigan Hospital, just before 12:30 p.m. Saturday; and, according to South Lyon Police Chief Chris Sovik, succumbed to his injuries late Saturday evening. 

The sheriff's office has contacted the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration, which will look into the incident. 

"We don’t believe there was any foul play or criminal matter to investigate," Sovik told WWJ Newsradio 950. "It is closed on our end. MIOSHA will take it from here."

Sovik said there was another fatal accident at the plant about a dozen years ago when a man was killed by a piece of heavy machinery. State records show the company has had three violations since 2014; one resulting in $52,000 in fines. 

Officials at Michigan Seamless Tube say the company will conduct a full investigation, and MIOSHA said its investigation is expected to take weeks to months. 

Meanwhile, Sovik said counseling has been offered to officers and medical staff who responded to what he called "a terrible scene." 

"You know, it kind of affects all of us," he added. "...As far as the family goes, we are just so sorry that someone had to lose their life in this condition."

The victim, whose name is being withheld at this time, was from the South Lyon-area, Sovik said. He left behind a wife and daughter.