Anthony Blamer

(Photo: Michigan Department of Corrections)

Michigan Man Found Guilty In Slaying Of Victim Found Dismembered In Woods

July 25, 2018 - 4:47 pm
Categories: 

MUSKEGON (WWJ/AP) - A western Michigan man has been found guilty of second-degree murder in the slaying of an acquaintance whose dismembered body was found in a national forest by duck hunters.

A judge in Muskegon announced the verdict Wednesday for 29-year-old Anthony Blamer of Fremont, following a bench trial last week.

Blamer testified that he shot 24-year-old D'Anthony Keenan, a father of two, as they sat in a 2007 Chevy Tahoe at a car wash.

Keenan's body was missing its head and hands when discovered nearly a year ago along a wooded path in the Manistee National Forest, northwest of Grand Rapids. 

WOOD-TV reported last August that Blamer was quickly linked by investigators to the killing after Facebook chats revealed the two had planned to meet up just prior to Keenan’s death. 

Blamer said he and the victim were arguing about money when Keenan pulled a gun. The gun went off during a struggle, Blamer claimed, and Keenan was killed by a bullet to the head.

Police said Blamer then drove the body in Keenan’s vehicle to a park and ride lot in northern Muskegon County where he buying a chainsaw at Walmart before returning to the vehicle the following day, thinking that a dismembered body would be more difficult to identify. 

Blamer later led investigators to where he left a bag containing additional body parts, including the victim's head and hands, and to the chainsaw which he’d dumped in a swamp. 

Police said money was also taken from the victim. 

The Muskegon Chronicle reports that Blamer will be sentenced Sept. 10. He will aslo face a dismemberment charge in Newaygo County.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.