2 Oakland County Men Hospitalized After Flagpole Touches Live Wire

WWJ News
October 07, 2019 - 2:02 pm
flag pole

INDEPENDENCE TWP. (WWJ) - Two men are hospitalized after a flagpole they were putting up touched a live electrical wire.

The accident happened Sunday afternoon, according to the Oakland County Sheriff's Office, outside the Alano Club in the 5000 block of Clintonville Rd., near Pine Knob Trail, in Independence Township.

Deputies called to the scene were told that the victims were were shocked by electricity when the top of the pole they were erecting came in contact with an electrical wire above. 

Paramedics stabilized the men -- ages 36 and 61 -- and took them to McLaren-Oakland Hospital.

A doctor told investigators that the younger man was in critical condition, while the older man was alert and talking with hospital staff. Both patients were then transported to a burn unit for further treatment.  

Officials said both men were residents of Independence Township. Their names were not immediately released. 

The incident remains under investigation.