Health Officials Report 3rd Death In Michigan Linked To Vaping

WWJ News
January 10, 2020 - 12:36 pm

LANSING (WWJ) - Another Michigan resident has died from vaping-related lung injury.

This is the third death in Michigan linked to vaping, according to the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services.

MDHHS said they were notified about the death of an adult male on Dec.19, 2019. Health officials did not specify what substance the patient was vaping. 

The man's name and hometown were not released, and officials said no other information about him will be released due to confidentiality reasons.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control reports that as of January 7, 2020, there have been more than 2,600 hospitalizations related to vaping and e-cigarette use and 57 deaths.

Back in November, U.S. health officials reported a breakthrough in their investigation into what has been causing the illnesses. A government lab found the chemical compound vitamin E acetate in fluid taken from the lungs of 29 patients across the country, the CDC said. The compound was previously found in liquid from e-cigarettes and other vaping devices used by many of those who got sick.

In December, the Michigan Marijuana Regulatory Agenc issued a health and safety advisory regarding numerous vape cartridges that have been recalled after failing lab testing. The MRA said the amount of vitamin E acetate was found to be well over the limit in several types of cartridges sold at multiple marijuana dispensaries in Michigan. (Get more information about this HERE.)

While the investigation into the illnesses continues, the CDC recommends that people avoid using any vaping products — especially those containing THC.

Whether it's vaping or smoking, free help is available in for people who are ready to kick the habit at 800-QUIT-NOW (800-784-8669).

For more information about this outbreak, visit