845 Dead From COVID-19 In Michigan, As Confirmed Cases Near 19K

WWJ News
April 07, 2020 - 3:02 pm

(WWJ)  The COVID-19 pandemic continues to take its toll on Michigan. 

New numbers Tuesday afternoon show Michigan has 18,970 confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, with a total of 845 related deaths statewide. The official count from the

health department includes 1,749 new cases and 118 additional deaths since Monday.

Looking at metro Detroit: The City of Detroit (counted separately) now has 5,476 cases and 222 deaths, while the rest of Wayne County has 3,569 cases and 180 deaths. Oakland County has 3,736 cases and 205 deaths, and Macomb County has 2,414 cases and 121 deaths. (See map at left for all county case counts).

Meanwhile, negative test results in Michigan so continue to rise. So far, 31,362 out of 43,503 samples tested by the health department were negative. Note that the state says counts of specimens tested positive will not equal number of people with COVID-19. People may have more than one test or may have had samples tested at an out of state lab.

There has been no change yet in the age range in Michigan as far as fatalities. The oldest person to die was 107 years old and the youngest was 20.

Here is a breakdown of cass by age:

  • 0 to 19 years 1% cases 0% deaths
  • 20 to 29 years 9% cases 1% deaths
  • 30 to 39 years 13% cases 2% deaths
  • 40 to 49 years1 7% cases 5% deaths
  • 50 to 59 years 20% cases 11% deaths
  • 60 to 69 years 18% cases 19% deaths
  • 70 to 79 years 13%cases 27% deaths
  • 80+ years 9% cases 34% deaths
  • Unknown <1% cases 0% deaths

Get more stats from the state AT THIS LINK.

Detroit Mayor Mike Duggan says there are signs that social distancing is working in the city's fight against COVID-19. "The storm's not over," the mayor said, "but for the first time we can see that we can beat this. Also announced: Masks will be available for riders on DDOT buses starting Wednesday. READ MORE HERE.

Meanwhile,  Gov. Gretchen Whitmer is soon expected to extend her "Stay Home, Stay Safe" executive order due to COVID-19. Lt. Gov. Garland Gilchest says an announcement is coming this week. Senate Republicans Tuesday defeated Democrats' amendment to extend the governor's State of Emergency in Michigan by 70 days, as was requested by Whitmer, and instead passed a resolution to extend it by 23 days. The State House then approved the additional 23 days this afternoon. 

The three main symptoms of coronavirus are fever, cough and shortness of breath. In order to mitigate risk of spreading COVID-19, everyone is encouraged to take action to reduce the spread, including: wash your hands often with soap and water or use hand sanitizer; avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands; cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing; avoid handshakes; avoid contact with people who are sick; and stay home when you are sick. Officials are urging social distancing -- staying at least six feet away from other people -- to help flatten the curve.

This is a rapidly evolving situation. Stay tuned to WWJ Newsradio 950 where we will remain live, local and committed to bringing you the latest information during this outbreak.