Candle May Have Caused Fire That Injured 6 In Southwest Detroit

WWJ News
September 12, 2019 - 8:03 am

photo: WWJ/Mike Campbell

Categories: 

DETROIT (WWJ) - A candle may be to blame for a house fire in southwest Detroit that left six people, including a child, hospitalized.

The fire was reported around 2 a.m. Thursday at a two-family home on Whittaker Street near Vernor Avenue.

Six people on the lower level, including a 2-year-old boy, were taken to the hospital and are being treated for smoke inhalation and minor burns.  

Twelve people on the upper floor left the home before the fire took off and were not injured.

Reporting live from the scene, WWJ's Mike Campbell said the entire block was without power, likely from storms that passed through the area overnight.

Neighbors say a candle may be to blame for the fire, but arson investigators are still working to determine the cause.

Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and WWJNewsradio.com for the latest. >>LISTEN LIVE!