Detroit Mayor Duggan, Aides Were Target Of AG Search Warrant

WWJ News
November 13, 2019 - 4:46 pm
spirit of detroit

photo: WWJ/Vickie Thomas

DETROIT (WWJ) - There has been a raid in connection with a Michigan Attorney General's Office investigation into the City of Detroit.

WWJ's Vickie Thomas reported that a search warrant was served by AG Dana Nessel's office last Friday related to questions about the city's controversial dealings with the nonprofit Make Your Date prenatal program, whose president has personal ties to Mayor Mike Duggan.

The warrant, a copy of which was obtained by WWJ Newsradio 950 on Wednesday, seeks heaps of documents from the city -- including emails from the accounts of Duggan, Chief of Staff Alex Wiley, and four other aides, dating back to 2014.

The AG's probe follows another launched by Detroit's Office of the Inspector General in July, after a Detroit Free Press investigation found that Make Your Date received $358,000 in city grants and benefited from a fundraising campaign.

"It gives Detroit another black eye," said local activist Robert Davis. "Especially since when individuals have painted a picture of a comeback, when in fact you have had a mayor and his administration for years trying to put up smoke and mirrors in terms of trying to cover up certain things that they were doing behind closed doors."

While the OIG found that the nonprofit Make Your Date program enjoyed special treatment from city hall, that an order by Wiley to delete associated emails was "egregious" and a  "mistake in judgment," Duggan denies any wrongdoing.

"The most important conclusion of the OIG is that there was no violation of any policies, procedures or laws, and that there was no conflict of interest," Duggan told WWJ following the report's release.

 In a statement replying to a request by WWJ for comment on these latest developments, city attorney Lawrence Garcia said: 

"The office the Attorney General is doing its job. We were already prepared to provide emails related to Make Your Date as they already had been pulled for the OIG investigation.  Those emails have been online for the public to read for several months.  We continue to cooperate fully with the AG’s staff and we hope their work is completed soon."

Duggan has said the deleted emails contained "nothing problematic."