Elderly Man Found Dead After 'Suspicious' Fire In Southwest Detroit

WWJ News
October 23, 2019 - 6:52 am

Getty Images


DETROIT (WWJ) - An elderly man, known by neighbors and family members as "Mr. Boo,"  has died in an early morning house fire in Southwest Detroit.

The fire broke out around 3 a.m. Wednesday and quickly spread through a home along 33rd Street and Horatio, off I-94 between Livernois and Grand Boulevard.

Flames were shooting out of the home when firefighters arrived and they weren't able to go inside to rescue the man, identified by relatives as 87-year-old Graham White. After the flames were extinguished around 6:20 a.m., firefighters found his body. 

A cause of the fire has yet to be determined. Fire officials say the blaze seems suspicious but they won't know for sure until after an investigation, which now involves Detroit police. 

Jimmy Wheaton, White's nephew, said he thinks candles might be to blame for the fire.

"He asked me to buy him some candles. I bought some candles about 7 o'clock, 7:30 last night, said 'See you later Unc. See you tomorrow,' and that was it," Wheaton told WWJ's Charlie Langton before getting emotional. "What's going through my mind is I was probably the last person to see him, and I purchased those candles. He didn't deserve to go out like this. He's a good guy, I swear to God."

The home completely collapsed in the blaze and is a total loss. 

Stay with WWJ Newsradio 950 and WWJ Newsradio.com for the latest. >>LISTEN LIVE!