Man Charged In Armed Standoff With Royal Oak Police

WWJ News
December 12, 2019 - 5:00 pm
Nickolas Al Nowland

Nickolas Al Nowland (Photo: Royal Oak Police Department)

ROYAL OAK (WWJ) - A 41-year-old man is facing nearly a dozen felony counts in connection with a tense standoff with Royal Oak police

Nickolas Al Nowland of Pontiac was arraigned in 44th District Court Thursday on four counts of Felonious Assault with a Dangerous Weapon, a four-year felon; five counts of Possession of a Firearm in the Commission of a Felony, a two-year felony; one count of Obstructing a Police Officer; a two-year felony and one count of count of Possession of Firearm by a Felon, a two-year-felony.   

Bond was set at $100,000, no 10%. 

The incident ended without any serious injuries inside a commercial building on Fernlee Ave., just east of Coolidge off 14 Mile Rd., in Royal Oak, early the morning of Dec. 3,

Police said Nowland was armed with a rifle and wanted to kill himself in a shootout with police. Officers responded and set up a perimeter while negotiating with him over the phone. 

The suspect repeatedly exited the building and although he never pointed the rifle directly at anyone, police said he did try to provoke officers into shooting him by attempting to walk up on officers and quickly reaching for the weapon. At one point, he approached a perimeter officer and forced him into an area where the officer had nowhere to retreat, all the while holding the rifle at his side and motioning like he was about to level it at the officer, according to police. At this point other officers distracted Nowland, and he turned his attention to them.

Eventually, Nowland went back inside the building and Oakland County SWAT officers arrived and took over the inner perimeter. Just before 5 a.m., officers used "a less lethal munition" to disable Nowland, and he was arrested, police said. 

He was taken to Beaumont Hospital for a psychiatric evaluation and treatment of minor injuries. 

“The officers on scene utilized excellent teamwork and showed tremendous restraint while continuing to attempt to deescalate the situation. This individual stated several times he wanted to shoot it out with police.  I can’t emphasize enough what a great job our officers did tonight, particularly the level of restraint they exercised in this incident,”  said Chief Corrigan O’Donohue, in a statement. 

Nowland’s criminal history includes convictions for breaking and entering and open intoxicants in a motor vehicle, acconrding to police.

His next cour appearance is scheduled for Dec.20.