New Totals: 60 Deaths, 2,856 Cases Of Coronavirus In Michigan

WWJ News
March 26, 2020 - 2:03 pm

(WWJ) The number of deaths and number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Michigan both continue to climb.

There are 564 new cases of COVID-19 in Michigan, bringing the total to 2,856. That includes 60 deaths in total.

New today: The state is now reporting total testing numbers, as well. As of Wednesday, 9,109 tests had been issued, 6,550 of which were negative, according to the health department.

The following are the latest official totals accordindg to the the Michigan Department of Health and Human. Detroit, suburban Wayne County and Oakland County remain the hardest-hit areas of the state.  Note that the city of Detroit and Wayne County are counted and reported separately. 

Overall Confirmed COVID-19 Cases by County:

  •   Allegan 1 
  •   Barry 1 
  •   Bay 4 
  •   Berrien 11 
  •   Calhoun 7 
  •   Cass 1 
  •   Charlevoix 4 
  •   Clare 1 
  •   Clinton 7 
  •   Detroit City 851 (15 deaths)
  •   Eaton 4 
  •   Emme t2 
  •   Genesee 63 (1 death)
  •   Gladwin 2 
  •   Grand Traverse 3 
  •   Hillsdale 5 
  •   Ingham 22 
  •   Ionia 2 
  •   Iosco 1 
  •   Isabella 3 
  •   Jackson 17 
  •   Kalamazoo 10 
  •   Kalkaska 2 
  •   Kent 41 (1 death)
  •   Lapeer 3 
  •   Leelanau 1 
  •   Lenawee 5 
  •   Livingston 21 (1 death)
  •   Macomb 347 (11 deaths)
  •   Manistee 1 
  •   Marquette 1 
  •   Mecosta 1 (1 death)
  •   Midland 6 
  •   Missaukee 1 
  •   Monroe 21 
  •   Montcalm 3 
  •   Muskegon 3 
  •   Newaygo 1 
  •   Oakland 668 (15 deaths)
  •   Oceana 1 
  •   Ogemaw 1 
  •   Otsego 7 
  •   Ottawa 18 
  •   Roscommon 1 
  •   Saginaw 10 
  •   Sanilac 1 
  •   Shiawassee 1 
  •   St. Clair 13 
  •   Tuscola 2 (1 death)
  •   Van Buren 2 
  •   Washtenaw 92 (3 deaths)
  •   Wayne 538 (11 deaths)
  •   Wexford 1 
  •   Other 13 
  •   Out of State 7 

Overall Percentage of Cases by Sex

  •   Male 51%
  •   Female 49%

Percentage of Cases by Age

  •   0 to 19 years 1%
  •   20 to 29 years 7%
  •   30 to 39 years 12%
  •   40 to 49 years 16%
  •   50 to 59 years 19%
  •   60 to 69 years 21%
  •   70 to 79 years 15%
  •   80+ years 8%

This latest came a few hours after Gov. Gretchen Whitmer requested a major disaster declaration from President Donald Trump to help support Michigan residents through the coronavirus crisis.

Of paramount concern, the governor said, is a shortage of medical supplies; in particular personal protection equipment, including ventilators, hand sanitizers and N9 masks.

Whitmer reiterated the importance of her "Stay Home, Stay Safe" executive order she said will help to slow the spread of the virus.  "This order is not optional. It is not a recommendation," the governor said. (More on this here).

Meanwhile, drive-thru testing of hundreds of people per day is set to begin at the former Michigan State Fairgrounds on Friday.