Caesars Windsor

Photo: Charlie Langton/WWJ)

No Deal: Caesars Windsor Remains Closed As Strike Continues

A tentative agreement was not ratified

April 18, 2018 - 3:39 pm
Categories: 

WINDSOR (WWJ) - Caesars Windsor will remain closed due to an ongoing labor dispute.

Casino employees walked off the job at midnight April 6, after union members voted to reject a new three-year labor agreement by 59 percent. 

Unifor Local 444, which represents 2,300 striking workers, told the Windsor Star last week they were "very cautiously optimistic" about next the upcoming Wednesday bargaining date.  

However, casino officials said talks broke down. 

"Caesars Windsor remains disappointed that a tentative agreement, which was endorsed by the Union Bargaining Committee, was not ratified," the gaming venue said, in a statement. "Today the groups met to discuss the issues but we were unable to reach a framework for an agreement. Unfortunately, the labour disruption continues and we remain closed."

Union leaders tell WWJ Newsradio 950 that there are multiple workplace issues on the table, and that "money's a big issue" as well. 

Casino officials announced April 9 that were "making the very difficult decision" to postpone all Colosseum shows, Total Rewards promotions, conventions, events and meetings for the remainder of April, as well as canceling all April hotel reservations.

Once an agreement has been reached, the casino said it will will be communicating the re-opening date on caesarswindsor.com, on Facebook and Twitter (@caesarswindsor).  For refund and additional information visit the website, call 1-800-991-8888 or email vipservices@caesarswindsor.com.