Detroit manhunt

photo: WWJ/Charlie Langton

Troopers Involved In Deadly Shooting After Crime Spree Placed On Leave

April 05, 2018 - 8:24 am

DETROIT (WWJ) - The Michigan State Police troopers involved in the deadly shooting of a man who went on a crime spree in Wayne County are on administrative leave.

Investigators say 56-year old Allan Farris fired at troopers who found him hiding behind a garage on Detroit's east side Wednesday morning. Troopers returned fire and killed Farris.

State police say it's normal protocol to put troopers involved in a shooting on leave. 

The roughly 10-hour ordeal spanned nearly 20 miles of the metro Detroit area and included two carjackings, two shootings that injured two women, two attempted carjackings -- one of which involved an an undercover MSP trooper -- and shots fired at police.

The woman who was shot in Canton, and the woman who was kidnapped in Northville Township and released in Highland Park, are in good condition.  

Police have released the following timeline of events:

  • 9 p.m., Tuesday, April 3 - Report of attempted carjacking and shooting near Joy and Morton Taylor roads in Canton; female victim is in good condition.
  • 9:05 p.m. - Report of attempted home invasion and shots fired in Canton; no injuries.
  • 9:15 p.m. - Report of home invasion, shooting and carjacking in Canton; female victim in good condition.
  • Police track Farris to the Northville area in the stolen vehicle. Farris refused to stop, crashed and fled on foot.
  • Report of carjacking and kidnapping in Northville Township; female victim dropped off in Highland Park and is in good condition.
  • 3:30 a.m., Wednesday, April 4 - Attempted carjacking of undercover trooper in Detroit. Gunfire is exchanged; unknown if Farris was injured in the exchange.
  • 7:20 a.m. - Officers observe Farris hiding behind a garage near Bradford and Flanders streets in Detroit and attempted to use non-lethal force to take him into custody. Farris fired at the officers, who returned fire. Farris is located deceased.

No officers were injured.

The incident remains under investigaiton.