Aaron Salter

Aaron Salter (Photo: Wayne County Prosecutor's Office)

Wrongly Convicted: Detroit Man To Be Released After Nearly 15 Years In Prison

August 15, 2018 - 3:47 pm
Categories: 

DETROIT (WWJ) - After serving nearly 15-years in prison for first degree murder, a Detroit man is finally free.

Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy announced Wednesday she has dismissed homicide charges against Aaron Salter, who was found guilty in 2003 in the shooting death of a 36-year-old Detroit man and the wounding of two others, on a porch on the city's east side.

After a lengthy investigation, Worthy determined that the case against Salter -- who was setenced to life in prison with parole -- was based primarily on mistaken identification by the main witness in the case, and that no other evidence supported the defendant's conviction.

"The system failed him," Worthy said in a statement. "Nothing I can say will bring back the years of his life spent in prison. Justice is truly being served today. We will recommend to the Michigan Attorney General’s Office that Mr. Salter receive wrongful conviction compensation. We sincerely wish him well."

A team of lawyers and investigators at the Federal Defenders Office in Detroit, which have been representing Salter in appealing his conviction for the past ten years, said they uncovered previously undisclosed evidence and interviewed witnesses who could confirm Salter's alibi at the time of the shooting.

Salter is expected to be released Wednesday from the Chippewa Correction Facility in Kincheloe in the Upper Peninsula.